So it seems every year I try to make edible turkeys since Turkey season aka Thanksgiving is fast approaching. Making a cute turkey is not so easy for many reasons. 1) They are really not that cute of a real animal 2) You usually need to use brown for the body which can look a bit like - well just think about the poo emoji 3) It's kinda hard to make something that everyone eats for the main course - cute.
But alas I try anyway!
This year I went for really really really simple. You'll need a few candies. It's a great way to use up all the candy corn you may have left over from Halloween (or go grab some on super sale now at all the stores!)
Peppermint patties make up the "body". I had leftover heart shapes from Valentine's Day but you could also use regular mini peppermint patty candies. Eyes are made from royal icing which after dried you add the black part with an edible candy writer. My other favorite candy to use for projects is candy coated sunflower seeds. They are used as the "beak" and a piece of red licorice as the gobbler thing.
Enjoy as is or use as cookie or cupcake toppers!
Welcome to November and Turkey season! I'm already starting to see holiday and Christmas goodies over on Pinterest so I'm get ready for all the yummies on deck!
Here are some of my past turkey attempts! Which is your fav??
Marshmallow & Candy Turkeys
How To Make Candy Turkeys
- Candy corn - in various colors and flavors
- Heart shaped mini peppermint patties (if you can't find hearts you can use round mini peppermint patties)
- Yellow candy coated sunflower seeds
- Red licorice strings
- Candy eyes (made with royal icing or you can buy pre-made candy eyes)
- Chocolate chips or candy melt (as glue)
- Add 1/2 cup of chips/wafers to a quart size freezer bag and microwave on high for 15 second intervals until just melted (usually 3-4 intervals)
- Snip an end of the bag and "pipe" the chocolate glue onto the small ends of 5 candy corns. Arrange in a fan shape. Attach the back of the chocolate patty to the candy corn as in photo.
- Use melted chocolate and attach eyes, sunflower seed as beak.
- Cut 1/2 inch of licorice and attach with melted chocolate as the gobbler.