Spring is finally here! In the Northeast we finally have temperatures in the 70s (today 80!) with nothing but sun in the 7 day forecast. Yay!! The warm weather feels awesome.
I needed another spring treat and I've had this idea for cake bites rolled in edible moss on my to do list since last year.
These came together pretty quickly because I started with some whoopie pies as the cake bite mixture. They have the perfect amount of cake to icing ratio for cake bites too. Crush them up, roll them into balls, dip them in melted chocolate, sprinkle with "moss" and make them more woodsy with a little bunny on top.
I love these tiny chocolate bunnies!
The edible moss is only crushed graham crackers with a little green food gel added.
Add the miniature bunny after you sprinkle with moss but before the chocolate hardens.
Not only are they super cute for Spring or Easter (if you celebrate) but they are pretty yummy too.
I keep trying to talk my kiddos into a woodland themed birthday party - unfortunately they are not really into it. Such a bummer because I totally am and these would be perfect little additions to a woodland themed party table. My twins do turn 10 this month (10!!!) so I do have a couple of cakes to make. Follow along with the birthday prep on my Instagram #maxandgretaturn10 - I'll be sharing the cakes and other prep this month!
Spring Cake Bites with Edible Moss and Mini Bunnies
- 1 and 1/2 cups of edible moss (crushed graham crackers tinted with 2-3 drops of green food gel)
- 4 large chocolate whoopie pies (or 6 cupcakes plus 1/2 cup of vanilla frosting)
- 1 and 1/2 cups of chocolate chips
- Bag of Russell Stover Chocolate Mini Bunnies (see link below)
- Crush whoopie pies until crumbly and frosting is mixed in well. Roll into balls and refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Melt chips in microwave safe bowl in 20 second intervals until melted.
- Dip cake bites in chocolate tapping off excess.
- Sprinkle with edible moss until there is a coating all over bite.
- Top immediately with a mini bunny.
- Let harden 15 minutes.
Prep time: 35 minutes Yield: about 18-20 cake bites
You may also like these treats with edible moss!