Hey Peeps! Sharing a really easy and yummy cupcake with you guys today. You know how I love rainbows right?? Well I was at Trader Joe's the other day and found these cool Carrots of Many Colors! Yup, rainbow carrots!! (Insert huge Squeee!)
They come in a 2 pound bag for only 2 bucks and they're organic too. Can't beat that. AND did I mention the colors?? I roasted them for dinner one nite with a little honey drizzle at the end. So.Darn.Yummy.
I had to do something with the rest so decided to shred them up and make some carrot cupcakes (or you can call them carrot muffins, whatev you prefer). I love love (love!) the colors. Orange, red, yellow, purple. The purple one is actually yellow inside. How fun is that?
And the batter for these mixes up so quickly. You can be done in about 1/2 hour with everything!
Although not needed at all, you can add a little dollop of your fav frosting (I added a little coconut buttercream I had in the fridge). To add even a little more color to these cupcakes I also added a little shredded green zucchini and some sweetened coconut to the mix.
See all the fun rainbow specs inside?!
And of course I had to add a little carrot heart on top!
Calling it my first Valentines Day treat! V-Day treats don't always need to be pink and red, right?!
Have a great week everyone!
Cupcakes Made with Rainbow Carrots (recipe adapted from Epicurious Carrot Cake)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 cups of shredded rainbow carrots
- 1/2 cup of shredded zucchini (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon of shredded sweetened coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add flour to a bowl and add baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice.
- Add brown sugar to mixing bowl and add/mix in one egg at a time until well incorporated.
- Add flour mixture, 1 cup at a time to the sugar/egg mixture until just incorporated.
- Stir in the carrot, zucchini, coconut.
- Fill cupcake tin/liners 2/3 way full and bake for 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Eat! (You can also add a dollop of your favorite frosting, but it's really not needed!)