So I promise this is my last heart or Valentines Day themed post. I know you are probably sick of hearts by now, especially after the heart topped reverse rainbow cake, the heart shaped hostess cupcakes, and the marbled mini heart cakes!
But, anyone who reads the blob probably knows I have a soft spot for geeky stuff (I did marry an engineer so it kinda comes with the territory). I thought I'd make him some edible valentines with some romantic quotes from some of the best geeky movies out there.
And I've really been wanting to try a chocolate sugar cookie bar recipe since regular sugar cookie bars are so easy to throw together (especially if you add some homemade buttercream!). I used this recipe for the bars and this recipe for the buttercream.
I also mixed in some pink sprinkles to the buttercream for some extra texture. Then just ice the entire slab of chocolate sugar cookie.
Refrigerate first so you can cut out the hearts. Be careful because you can crack the cookie bar sheet while trying to move it (I may have yelled a few expletives when it cracked down the middle!). Also my cookie cutter wouldn't cut all the way through to cut out the hearts (probably because the cookie and frosting were too thick, so I had to cut the heart shapes out by hand).
The easier way, would have been to just cut out bars, like these, but I had it in my mind they had to be hearts! (anyone else get an idea and you have to make it work, no matter how much of a pain in the #&$F&%@ the project starts to get, or is that just me??!)
Once you have the shape you like, just pipe on some of your favorite quotes for your valentine. I was going to use chocolate royal icing, but it just wasn't the right color SO I turned to good old Betty Crocker chocolate frosting. Always works great in a pinch!
And I hope you recognize at least some of the quotes! But here they are just in case you are thinking "what the heck is she talking about!"
- You have bewitched me body and soul - Mr. Darcy from Pride and Predjudice
- Real or not real? Peeta from the Hunger Games series
- Always - Severus Snape from the Harry Potter series
- I love you. I know. - Leia and Han from Star Wars (and if you don't know that one, you probably won't know the rest!)
- As you wish - Westley from Princess Bride
- I choose a mortal life - Arwen from Lord of the Rings series
- Hey girl - Ryan Gosling meme (ok not a movie, but I'm still counting it!)
- I have crossed oceans of time to find you - Dracula from Bram Stocker's Dracula
- I'm in lesbians with you - Scott from Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
And just a last pic to show you what a time these hearts were giving me!
All forgiven chocolate heart sugar cookie bars because you were super tasty! Have a great weekend!! We are in the middle of the east coast snow storm and the snow is really coming down. Lets just hope we keep power because after Hurricane Sandy and 11 days without power, I really am pretty much in awe of Mother Nature!